- Decreased the delay in rendering the macro categories
in the Explorer, the Macro Controls dialog and the Macro
- Added an option to display a notification message when
an email has been sent using the E-Mail Send command.
- The Run Macro in Variable command now allows you to use
\\ when a \ is required. If you included \runit in previous
versions, it would result in <CR>unit. Now entering
\\runit will result in \runit
- Rewrote the Wait for Webpage command so that it no longer
requires the iCapture.dll library and increased its reliability.
- Modified the "/V" commandline parameter so that
if the user enters "//", it will be processed
as a "/" and still continue adding to the specified
variable until the next legitimate commandline parameter
- Command line parameters can now be entered either in lowercase
- Improved MeProc.exe so it can be copied to and run from
a folder other than the folder where Macro Express is installed.
- Changed MeProc.exe to make running macros faster.
- Added import support for ShortKeys 2.x files.
- Modified the "If OS Version" command so that
it will detect Windows Server 2003.
- Added ability to install defprefs.mcf file at the same
time the program is installed.
- Modified the "Set Wallpaper" command in two
ways. First, the command will allow the user to specify
graphics formats other than .bmp (this is only applicable
if the version of Windows allows it). Second, the wallpaper
is automatically updated in the Active Desktop as well,
if the OS supports it.
- Added support for the left and right control keys in the
Text Type command.
- Made a change such that the preferences are saved/created
immediately after opening Macro Express for the first time.
- Modified the Date/Time command so that the user can halt
the macro if the prompt is cancelled.
- Added two options to the "Variable Set Integer"
command to retrieve the width and height of a specified
- The "Floating Time Seconds" in the Text Box
Display command will now accept variables.
- Removed the "Going back to Macro Express 2000"
menu entry from the system tray.
- Modified the dialogs that can be positioned on the screen
so that they are positioned correctly when dealing with
- Modified the "Variable Set From File" command
so that when the user is parsing the file path, the user
can determine whether or not relative filenames are expanded
to include the current directory.
- Added a "Does not Contain" option to the "Repeat
- Added a message that warns the user that no files were
found if the "Rename File or Files" command can't
find the file(s) in question. The error does not halt the
- Added a commandline parameter to MeProc which will allow
the user to delay the loading of Macro Express for a specified
number of seconds.
- Made a modification that would allow the "Rename
File or Files" command to rename a directory.
- Modified the script parsing routines so that if a Text
Type command is greater than 64K, it will broken down into
smaller, more manageable commands, each of 64K characters
- Modified all of the password fields to the new Windows
XP password style.
- Added a "/delay" commandline parameter to cause
Macro Express to delay for the specified number of seconds
before executing the startup procedures.
- Modified the "Start Clipboard Copy"/"End
Clipboard Copy" commands so that any disabled commands
between these two commands are ignored.
- Placed a limit on the range of numbers a user can enter
in the "Variable Set to ASCII Character" command.
- Limited the "Variable Set Integer to Random Number"
command to not allow someone to enter a number less than
- Increased the speed at which the program configuration
can be imported.
- Modified the "Screen Saver Disable" command
so that on Windows XP the screensaver setting is removed,
as it is on Win9x.
- Added an option to warn about duplicate nicknames.
- Modified the display of the "Get Control" command
in the Script Editor so that information about the control
- Added "Advanced Wintools Config" option to the
Export Program Configuration menu option. This option will
replace certain paths with virtual folders so that they
work correctly on another machine.
- The Mute commands now work on Windows XP.
- Modified the "Windows Sizing Border" command
so that the factor field will accept variables.
- Added a warning message to the bottom of some of the file
commands to let the user know that if an absolute destination
path is not specified that it will become relative to the
current working folder.
- Modified the "Copy File/Files", "Rename
"Move File/Files" command so that if no wildcards
are specified the directories are not parsed before performing
- Modified the "Import Program Configuration"
menu option so that when a configuration contains paths
to invalid drives, those paths will revert to their default
- Made a change so that the error handling dialog in the
clipboard commands will be more likely to appear on top
of all of the windows.
- Made a change in the "Wait Text Playback" command
to make it more reliable.
- Added a link to the Bug Reporter from within the Options
- Updated the ISS Bug Reporter with a new user interface,
new ways of reporting bugs, a help file, and the ability
to set preferences before a crash.
- Made a change so that the Text Type command will now more
accurately use the current keyboard layout to playback a
- Improved the Mouse Locator program so it will run on computers
configured for Asian languages.
- Modified the ShortKey conflict notification message.
- Changed the hint of the popup menu when the macro is running.
It now includes the name of the popup macro, rather than
just saying that the menu is disabled.
- The user can no longer enter a value that is larger than
2147483647 or smaller than -2147483648 in the Variable Set
Integer and Variable Modify Integer commands.
- Increased the width of the System Macro Properties dialog.
- Added Active Accessibility to the menubars.
- Added "Repeat with Processes" command.
- Added "Reload Macro Express Preferences" command.
- Added "Variable Set from Misc" command.
- Added the "Get File Version" command.
- Added the "Move Mouse to Tray Icon" command.
Bugs fixed that caused crashes:
- Fixed a bug where the user could test run a macro while
a macro was playing. This occasionally caused a crash.
- Resolved a crash that occurred when Macro Express was
querying a program for some information while Macro Express
is shutting down.
- Modified the "Play AVI" command so that it won't
crash the program when an unsupported file is played.
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when viewing a log for
a macro and the log file doesn't exist.
- Added some code so that Macro Express will not crash on
an unrecognized command during playback.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when the program is being
- Fixed a crash that occurred if there was a corruption
in the macro when saving it.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when a blank path is passed
to the "Variable Set From File" command.
- Fixed a crash that occurred in the system tray manager.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the user did not specify
an extension for a graphic file when attempting to copy
it to the clipboard.
- Fixed a crash that occurred if the user attempted to modify
a control variable without first having defined it.
- Fixed a crash that could occur during the backup process.
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred when dismissing an error
- Fixed a crash that could occur when the user clicked on
a header in the Explorer to sort by a specific column.
- Fixed a crash in the Quick Wizards that could occur when
listing the available phone numbers to dial
- Repaired a crash that sometimes occurred when printing
the list of macros.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when attempting to update
a control-activated macro in the editor.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when saving a graphic from
the clipboard into a directory that did not yet exist.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when updating the
list of running processes/windows.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using the "Wait
for Window Title" command.
- Fixed a range check error that sometimes occurred when
using a repeat command.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the user specified a
filename in the "Variable Modify String: Append to
File" command when the user did not specify a path
to the file.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when the user attempted
to create a new category.
- Corrected a problem that caused an occasional crash when
closing the editor.
- Added some code to prevent crashing when the user enters
a rounding value that is outside of the rounding range.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the user entered a negative
number into the "Mouse Wheel" command.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if the program could not
open the clipboard when using the clipboard to execute a
Text Type command.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking on "OK"
to the "Clear Variables" command.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using the "Web Site"
command with the "wait" option enabled.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when a string variable has
been set to the contents of a file, the length of the variable
is 1 character and the user has selected to strip the trailing
- Made an adjustment to the editor window in order to avoid
a crash when checking the help file.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using the "Clipboard
Save Graphic" command on a file marked as read-only.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if a user used a blank
string variable when processing the "ASCII Character
- Fixed a crash that could occur if a user entered an invalid
numeric value into the "If Variable" command.
- Fixed a crash that occurred if the user performed an operation
on a decimal or integer variable and the contents of the
variable exceeded the maximum or minimum range.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when copying/moving a large
number of files.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the the length of the
Text Box content is too large.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the user entered an invalid
condition in the "Repeat Until" command.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when a user is testing
a macro with the test-run window.
- Fixed a crash that occured when the program attempted
to expand an environment variable.
- Made a fix to prevent a crash that could occur when displaying
the scope window.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the Variable
Set Control Text command.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if the user pressed the
Pause Macro hotkey several times when a macro is in a delay
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the user attempted to
select an F-Key from the Direct Editor menu when viewing
a different tab.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using the "Variable
Modify Control" command in conjunction with the "Capture
Other bugs fixed:
- Fixed some bugs in the scheduler that could cause macros not to run
when they were supposed to.
- Fixed a bug where, if the registry settings got corrupt, then the
script commands would appear as Uncategorized in the script and
- Fixed the multimonitor support on some prompts that would appear
during macro playback.
- Fixed a bug where, when right-clicking on the system tray icon and
then selecting "Open Editor", the left-click action would be executed
rather than opening the editor.
- Fixed a tab-order issue in the schedule option, "Load File".
- Fixed a bug in the Pause command so that it will accurately switch
focus to the previous window when it the user instructs it not to
- Fixed a bug in the "Delete File or Files" command where it did not
recurse through the subdirectories properly.
- Fixed a bug where the Quick Start Guide menu option was visible even
if the Quick Start files were not available.
- Fixed a bug where, after deleting a macro(s) from the Recycle Bin
the categories in the Explorer would disappear.
- Fixed a bug where some controls were not resized correctly on the
Change Icon dialog when using large fonts.
- Fixed a bug where the Direct Editor font didn't change correctly to
match the user settings.
- Fixed a couple of bugs in the Capture Quick Wizard that caused Macro
Express to set the scope to the wrong window/program.
- Fixed a bug where the user couldn't halt a capture using the hotkeys
when the editor was running.
- Fixed a bug in the "Case" command where it would not accept the
- Made a modification so that if the user has the "File Locking of
Macros option" turned on then the file is only updated as needed
instead of being updated at every synchronization check.
- Fixed a bug where the search in the Macro Explorer would never find
the very first item in the list.
- Made a modification so that the user cannot step into macros with an
edit password if they do not know the password. However, the macro
will still continue to run.
- Fixed a bug where the last variable (i.e. T99) would not be cleared
when using the "Clear Variables" command.
- Fixed a bug that occurred with the system tray menu when the taskbar
is at the top or left of the screen. The popup menu would never
appear under the mouse. Instead, it would appear either to the side
or the bottom of the taskbar. It now appears under the mouse.
- Modified the "Web Site" command so that if Internet Explorer is the
default web browser, the "Wait for Webpage" option of the command
will work without having to specify Internet Explorer specifically.
- The "If Online" command has been modified to simply detect whether or
not there is a TCP/IP stack available on the system. The pinging
action has been removed.
- Fixed a bug where the "Case" commands were not being evaluated
- Modified the routines used to set focus to a window in order to make
it more reliable.
- Fixed the "E-Mail Send" command so that it accepts variables in the
filename field for the body of the message.
- Modified the "Clear Variables" command so that the user cannot enter
an invalid range to clear.
- Modified the capture dialog so that it will come up on top of all
other windows when the user presses Ctrl+Alt+Shift+X.
- Fixed a bug where any value could be entered into the text type delay
field in the Options panel.
- Modified the disabling of the global scope so that it is enabled when
there are no active global macros assigned to the same hotkey as the
- Added some checks to make sure that the action taken by clicking on
the system tray defaults to opening the editor if it is not set
- Fixed a sorting issue in the macro controls dialog.
- Fixed a bug in the "Rename Folder" command so that relative pathnames
are expanded out so that the command will not fail.
- Modified the "Copy File/Files" command so that relative paths are
expanded prior to performing the operation.
- Fixed a bug in the "Variable Set From File" command where the first
two letters of the path were getting removed if the path did not
contain a drive letter.
- Fixed a bug where macros could not be run if a popup menu was visible
when the macro recycle bin was emptied.
- Modified the "Left Mouse Button" and "Right Mouse Button" commands
to execute properly when the buttons have been swapped for left-handed use.
- Fixed a bug in the clipboard commands where, if the user selected
the option to continue the macro when an error occurs, the macro
was still halted.
- Fixed a bug where, if the user created a new category, but didn't
rename it, the category would not be selected properly.
- Fixed a bug in the popup and floating menus where, if the user pressed
a letter to launch a macro, the focus did not change back to the
- Updated the help to correct several errors.
- Fixed a reliability bug in the "Set Window Z-Order" command.
- Fixed a bug in the "Window Reposition" where if the user select to
reposition a window by a percentage, it did not move the window correctly.
- Fixed a tab order bug in the "Variable Modify Decimal" command when the
"Round" option is selected.
- Fixed a bug where the "Network Disconnect" command did not remember whether
or not the "Show Connection Status" checkbox was checked.
- Fixed a bug where the user could not specify his/her own accelerators when
using the Windows Default popup menu.
- Fixed a copy/paste error that occurred with the "Repeat Until" command.
- Fixed a bug in some macro selection dialogs where macros in a subcategory
were not displayed.
- Fixed a bug where the debugger would not reliable change focus to the
appropriate window while stepping through a macro.
- Made a change in the program to make sure that the Break and Repeat Exit
commands left a file processing loop more reliably.
- Removed part of the explanation of how to change the current working folder
in the Activate Window/Program Launch commands as the explanation does not
apply to the latest versions of Macro Express.
- Fixed a bug in the "Capture Control" command where it did not always
return the correct information to any command that used the control.
- Modified the "Round Decimal" command so that the user will be
warned if a value beyond what is acceptable is entered.
- Fixed a bug on Windows 95 machines were the "Run on Windows Startup"
did not work correctly.
- Fixed a bug where the user could enter a negative value into the
delay fields in the Activate/Launch commands.
- Fixed a bug in the Script and Direct Editors. If the menubar was
detached from the window and a menu item was clicked, the menu would
appear momentarily and then disappear. This no longer happens.
- Modified the explorer so that when the user drags a macro, that it
is not redrawn constantly, therefore freeing up a large percentage
of the CPU cycles.
- Fixed a bug where the "Registry Read String" command could not
read a registry value of type REG_EXPAND_SZ.
- Made a correction in the way Macro Express handles commandline
parameters. If the user entered a commandline like the following:
macexp.exe /ATest Macro /VT1:Hello There
Then the resulting macro to be launched would be "Test Macro "
(without the quotes) which is obviously wrong.
- Fixed a problem in the installer that occurred when installing
without the help files. The problem caused this error message:
The application or DLL c:\winnt\system32\ole2.dll is
not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation
- Fixed a bug where copying and pasting the "Get Pixel" command did
not work correctly.
- Fixed a timing problem that occurred if meproc was used more than once
within too short of a time.
- Modified the preferences window so that if the user entered a 0 for
the number of minutes to autosync the current macro file, the value
would be reset to 1 minute.
- Made a change so the user cannot enter an invalid variable index
on the commandline.
- Fixed a bug where users could modify the macro file simultaneously
when in network mode.
- Fixed a bug where certain shortkey combinations could be expanded
- Modified the ShortKeys Settings dialog so that it points to the
correct help topic.
- Fixed a bug where capturing mouse movements relative to the last
position did not work correctly.
- Fixed a bug where the script font styles were not properly applied
to the script editor window.
- Fixed a bug where popup/floating menus would not appear on a monitor
other than the main monitor.
- Fixed a bug where menus which were exported would not be reimported
- Corrected the format of the header sent with the email send command.
- Fixed a bug in the Weekly Schedule option so that it will run
when it is supposed to.
- Fixed a bug where the "Change Focus to Previous Window" debug
setting had no effect when cleared.
- Removed the accelerator key from the Security tab in the Script and
Direct in order to correct a conflict.
- Fixed a bug where a breakpoint could cause a "Could not find matching
End If" script error.
- Fixed a bug where, if the user attempted to access a read-only file
using the clipboard commands, the program would ignore the error and
perpetually retry the operation.
- Fixed a bug where, if the macro stopped on a breakpoint, the user
could not continue to step through the macro from that point.
- Fixed a bug where the log tab on the properties dialog would not
display the log for a macro if the script contained the "Log Errors"
Release Notes for Previous Versions
Release Notes for Current Version